How I Got Into Board Gaming

    Hello, my name is Melissa Makak and I am a board game content creator for Room 51 and the Dice Tower. I thought it might be fun to blog about becoming a content creator and Room 51’s journey from my perspective. I suppose I am writing this as something nice for myself to look back on in the future and for anyone who is at all interested in reading about one’s journey in the world of board game content creation. I will share some personal things that were going on in my life during all these moments as they pertain to becoming a Dice Tower contributor and starting up Room 51 with my brother, Justin. I welcome you to come along for the ride. Let’s do this thing! 

    I think the best place to start is how I got into board gaming in the first place. Justin and I speak a bit about this on our “Reintroduction” episode on Room 51, but I will elaborate on it here. I am a painfully shy individual who was always at odds with herself. I was always looking for a means of escape from myself and a chance to be whomever I saw myself as that the world around me didn’t see. My absolute favorite cartoon when I was a child was Recess as I loved watching these 5 best friends play and run with their imagination. There was an episode called “Lord of the Nerds” where a group of children called “the pale kids” were playing a game a lot like Dungeons and Dragons. I had no idea a tabletop game like that existed or that board games could send you on an adventure and allow you to be whomever you want to be. This episode stuck with me, but it wasn’t until I started college that I started digging. I figured they must have gotten that idea from somewhere, right?! Turns out, they totally did, and it indeed was a parody of Dungeons and Dragons (D&D). This was my first step into the wonderful world of tabletop gaming. Growing up as someone who is gay and questioning her gender identity (still am), D&D allowed me to explore those facets of myself in a safe way without ever having to come out to anyone as I wasn’t quite ready to do that yet (I didn’t start coming out about my sexuality until I was about 21). This had me hooked; what other adventures could I go on? What other facets of my identity could I explore? I started looking deeper into board games and that was when I stumbled across a little channel on YouTube called the Dice Tower. The first video I saw was Tom Vasel’s Top 100 Games of All Time and the first thing I thought was, “Woah! There are 100 board games??!” I clearly had no idea the rabbit hole I was about to dive into. I watched endless amounts of Dice Tower content, but it wasn’t until I began grad school (6 years later) that I started to actually buy and play all these different board games. The reasons being that I didn’t have the money at the time to afford these board games and for some reason, I felt as though I wasn’t special enough to play and buy these games. I’m not sure why, but it felt as though you needed to be a special, certain someone to be able to experience such amazing games. They seemed so out of reach. Then, I was finally starting to make some sort of pocket change (getting a job in New York is no joke) and I had an amazing idea…. I could use Amazon! And so it began. 

    The Dice Tower has meant a great deal to me and I always admired all their members and would totally fangirl over all the Board Game Breakfast contributors (a series on The Dice Tower that showcases many different contributors talking about board games!). I always thought it would be so cool if I could be on Board Game Breakfast somehow…



Comments