And so, Room 51 was Born

Welcome back! My name is Melissa Makak and I am writing this blog to tell my story of becoming a content creator and the birth of Room 51 from my perspective! This is a linear blog, so if you haven’t read my other 3 posts, you may be a little lost but proceed at your own risk! Please keep all arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times. Enjoy the ride!

At this point, I was on Dice Tower’s Board Game Breakfast for a little over a month when Justin and I began talking about starting a podcast together. We figured we love talking about board games and, more importantly, took great pleasure in arguing about board games. We thought it could be a cool, fun side project of ours. There was not a very high expectation of the number of listeners we would receive (we pretty much just expected a couple of friends to listen… maybe). I just loved making content for the Dice Tower so much that I didn’t want to stop there, and I always hoped to create content with my brother. He seemed a lot more interested in running a podcast with me than he did creating videos for Board Game Breakfast. In fact, he simply was not into making videos at all and much preferred the audio podcast style.   It took us about a week to figure out what the heck our name would be until finally I suggested “Room 51.” Justin and I loved it, but our girlfriends were less persuaded. Good thing it wasn’t their podcast! We ran with it despite their fears of it being a lame name… and despite my fears as well. I liked the name because it meant something to us (check out Blog Post #1 for the story behind the name).

The very first segment we came up with was “Roll for Thought” where we would just have a conversation about any sort of topic in the board gaming universe. This would go on to become the bread and butter of Room 51. Our entire motto is “join the conversation.” We never wanted our channel to be a place where we were just talking at people and stating our opinions as facts or as though they are beyond all others’ opinions. We wanted to create a space where people felt they could converse with us too. This is something at the core of Room 51, not just about board games, but about something so much deeper. Justin and I feel as though we, as a society, have been at a point for such a long time where we are not willing enough to have actual conversations and instead spread toxicity rather than fostering growth. Sure, we talk about board games, but we also talk about social issues within the hobby itself. This is not to say that we create perfect conversations or do it better than anyone else, but that’s sort of the point.  

Thus, a podcast was born! Our first episode aired on Justin’s birthday and in the first couple of weeks, we saw the number of listeners grow to around 11, which far exceeded our expectations. In about a month’s time, we were averaging around 20 listeners, which absolutely blew our minds. Better yet, PAX Unplugged was just around the corner! This would be the second board game convention we would have ever attended, and we were so freaking pumped. This could be a place to get the word out about Room 51 and I had just found out that I would be getting to help out at the Dice Tower Booth! This is where an amazing opportunity struck…


Click here  for our very first Roll for Thought episode! 

Room 51 Youtube

Room 51 Live Stream

Room 51 Podcast

Comments

Post a Comment